Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What is the Rogue Festival?

Some of you who I may have told about the Rogue Festival might be wondering what it is exactly. Every year in Fresno's Tower District around late February to early March, there are various performances that include (though not limited to) live bands, dance routines, and one-act plays.

Typically referred to as fringe festivals throughout the rest of the country and the world, I believe this is the eighth Rogue Festival here in Fresno, and it has become the largest one of its kind on the West coast.

The first time I ever heard about it, I believe, was in 2003, when poet/friend Tim Z. Hernandez told me about his one-man show, Skin Tax: Diaries of a Macho. I didn't get to see it, which is unfortunate, as I heard it won an award for Best Solo Performance.

However, I did see a performance in 2007. I forget the gentleman's name, but the name of the show was Are Ya Dating? It was a rather humorous solo performance about a man's experiences in the dating world.

Earlier this year, my wife Stephanie and I did a performance where she sang jazz covers and I read some of my poetry to music. It was originally titled "A Siren Sings, a Postmodern Psalmist Speaks," though we condensed the title to "The Siren and the Postmodern Psalmist." (Our website is still accessible at http://sirenpsalmist.blogspot.com.)

This year, I will be doing a solo performance relating to the karaoke scene. Hopefully you will find it amusing and let others know about it. Please be sure to check back here regularly for new information relating to the show and the Rogue Festival in general.

If you are interested in learning more about the Rogue Festival and the other great acts available, please visit http://www.roguefestival.com.

No comments: