Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Themes to Ponder

This could be the English instructor in me, but I thought I would write a posting including certain themes that are in the performance that might be worthwhile discussion afterwards. Knowing that several of my colleagues plan on attending, I figure this could give them something to discuss as they ponder what was going on in the show.

This is also rather "postmodern" of me, as I remember some of the novels in the American Postmodern Fiction course I took as a graduate student at Fresno State as having notes the author provides relating to the novel.

I will do my best not to spoil any key details in the show. However, if you haven't seen the show yet, you might want to skip over this posting:

Addiction. Think about what Carlos says specifically about Sarah, the regular who frequently follows him in the rotation.

Religion. Think about what Carlos says about what he could do if he weren't a karaoke DJ as well as what he shares about hearing those whose renditions of Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison give the artists justice. Don't forget, too: Carlos is "confessing."

Sex. Think about the stories Carlos shares about the behavior of certain regulars along with the lyrics to the songs they sing. Remember one thing Carlos says early on: for many of the regulars, doing karaoke allows them to have a social life.

Truth. This might not be apparent at first, but one of the first things the DJ says is this: "Me llamo Carlos." Could this in any way be a reference to Herman Melville's Moby Dick when the narrator says, "Call me Ishmael"? A question to ask is whether or not we should even trust everything Carlos tells us. Additionally, remember that, at a karaoke bar, you hear people singing familiar songs, but you're not likely to hear the original artists deliver those songs.

No comments: